How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in the Alaska Family Medicine Residency. This year is particularly different because we are hosting a purely virtual interview process due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We understand there are many uncertainties and many questions may arise, but we hope to make this a smooth and informative experience. Applications are only accepted through the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS).
Application Process: COVID-19 Updates
Significant changes this year include:
- Alaska Family Medicine Residency will not be hosting “second looks” or “audition rotations” to help protect medical students and our community, in line with the Coalition for Physician Accountability recommendations. We understand that this may make your decision more difficult, but we want to ensure your safety as well as ours.
- The USMLE Step 2 CK scores will not be required prior to the interview, but will be required before the final rank process.
- The USMLE Step 2 CS examination has been suspended for 12-18 months and will not be required to match with our program.
- The COMLEX-USA Level 2-PE exams have been suspended until November 1, 2020. Thus, it will not be required to interview with our program.
Application requirements for All Applicants:
- Personal Statement: To set yourself apart and share specific goals with us, please include a tailored personal statement that addresses the following questions below. If you do not include these items in your personal statement, your application may not be considered.
- Why Alaska?
- What knowledge or experience have you acquired that might assist you while on rotations serving Alaska Native and other diverse populations in remote “bush” locations.
- What unique attributes would you bring to our residency?
- What is your vision of yourself as a physician 5-10 years after residency?
- ERAS application
- Dean’s Letter
- Three letters of recommendation: two must be physician letters, and at least one of those from a family physician.
- Official transcript from the National Board of Medical Examiners demonstrating passing scores for USMLE Steps 1, 2CK or an official transcript from the National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners demonstrating passing scores for COMLEX Steps 1 and 2-CE and 2-PE, as soon as scores are completed and available.
Additional Information for International Medical Graduates
- Applicants must have US Citizenship or legal residency certification—we do not sponsor Visas.
- ECFMG certification (including passing of the Clinical Skills Assessment Exam) is required prior to starting residency, but not required to apply or interview.
- The maximum preferred number of years since graduation from medical school is five years.
Due to COVID-19 we will not be hosting any sub-internship rotations for the current academic year.
The Alaska Family Medicine Residency (AKFMR) offers a four-week inpatient rotation on our Family Medicine Service (FMS) at Providence Alaska Medical Center. Fourth-year medical students serve as an integral member of our interdisciplinary care team consisting of physicians, consultants, pharmacist, social workers, and case managers.
Students will deepen their medical knowledge, professionalism, autonomy, and empathy while performing assessments of patients for admission, daily rounding, consultation, and discharges. Students will be guided while developing diagnostic and treatment plans and manage an average of two to three patients while on the service. Students will participate in AKFMR didactics, Grand Rounds, and weekly SIMS cases with our animatronic mannequin and medical suite.
AKFMR will accept applications for 2020-2021 Sub-Internship rotation. Deadline to submit application is March 1, 2021, 11:59PM AKST. Applications submitted by deadline date will be reviewed and notified is now accepting no later than March 19th, 2021. Any application received after the deadline date will be defaulted to the waiting list. AKFMR encourages all students to apply as early as possible due to limited rotation slots.
Please contact our Student Rotation Coordinator, By Thao at By.Thao@providence.org for any questions and to submit your application directly to her email.
Alaska Family Medicine Residency 4th Year Medical Student Sub-I Rotation Application