How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in the Alaska Family Medicine Residency. This year is particularly different because we are hosting a purely virtual interview process due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We understand there are many uncertainties and many questions may arise, but we hope to make this a smooth and informative experience. Applications are only accepted through the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS).
Application Process: COVID-19 Updates
Significant changes this year include:
- Alaska Family Medicine Residency will not be hosting “second looks” or “audition rotations” to help protect medical students and our community, in line with the Coalition for Physician Accountability recommendations. We understand that this may make your decision more difficult, but we want to ensure your safety as well as ours.
- The USMLE Step 2 CK scores will not be required prior to the interview, but will be required before the final rank process.
- The USMLE Step 2 CS examination has been suspended for 12-18 months and will not be required to match with our program.
- The COMLEX-USA Level 2-PE exams have been suspended until November 1, 2020. Thus, it will not be required to interview with our program.
Application requirements for All Applicants:
- Personal Statement—There are no specific requirements for the personal statement, but it is nice to know why you choose to specialize in family medicine and how training in Alaska at our program fits with your career goals.
- ERAS application
- Dean’s Letter
- Three letters of recommendation: two must be physician letters, and at least one of those from a family physician.
- Official transcript from the National Board of Medical Examiners demonstrating passing scores for USMLE Steps 1, 2CK or an official transcript from the National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners demonstrating passing scores for COMLEX Steps 1 and 2-CE and 2-PE, as soon as scores are completed and available.
Additional Information for International Medical Graduates
- Applicants must have US Citizenship or legal residency certification—we do not sponsor Visas.
- ECFMG certification (including passing of the Clinical Skills Assessment Exam) is required prior to starting residency, but not required to apply or interview.
- The maximum preferred number of years since graduation from medical school is five years.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, slots available for the Sub-Internship are limited and subject to change at any time. The local GME Committee met and agreed to follow the current plan of only allowing students who meet one of the requirements to complete a rotation at the hospital:
- Alaskan Residents or,
- Students who intend to make Alaska their home for their core rotations (a full year rotation or more) or,
- Students affiliated with University of Washington and Pacific Northwest University, COM.
As a part of Providence, we are following the local GME requirements. If you meet any of the requirements listed above and is still interested in the Sub-I Rotation, please complete an application. Application received will be reviewed and students will be reached out if offered a rotation. AKFMR’s goal is to re-open the Sub-I Rotation in the Fall of academic year 2022-2023, subject to change at any time.
The Alaska Family Medicine Residency (AKFMR) offers a four-week inpatient rotation on our Family Medicine Service (FMS) at Providence Alaska Medical Center. Fourth-year medical students serve as an integral member of our interdisciplinary care team consisting of physicians, consultants, pharmacist, social workers, and case managers.
Students will deepen their medical knowledge, professionalism, autonomy, and empathy while performing assessments of patients for admission, daily rounding, consultation, and discharges. Students will be guided while developing diagnostic and treatment plans and manage an average of two to three patients while on the service. Students will participate in AKFMR didactics, Grand Rounds, and weekly SIMS cases with our animatronic mannequin and medical suite.
Please contact our Student Rotation Coordinator, Paige Morrow at email@example.com
Alaska Family Medicine Residency 4th Year Medical Student Sub-I Rotation Application
AKFMR 4th Year Medical Student Sub-I Rotation Application