How to Apply
Applications are coordinated though the ELECTRONIC RESIDENCY APPLICATION SERVICE (ERAS). Students may begin the ERAS application in July and our residency will begin receiving completed applications on September 1st each year. More information and applications may be found on the ERAS website at http://www.aamc.org/students/eras. International Medical School graduates should look for special instructions or contact the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) directly at (215) 386-5900.
Application requirements for the Alaska Family Medicine Residency:
- ERAS application
- Dean’s Letter
- Three letters of recommendation: two must be physician letters, and at least one of those from a family physician
- Official transcript from the National Board of Medical Examiners demonstrating passing scores for USMLE Steps 1, 2CK, and 2CS; or an official transcript from the National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners demonstrating passing scores for COMLEX Steps 1 and 2
- Description of any family medicine clinical rotations done in either the US or Canada
- Personal statement that addresses the following questions:
- Why Alaska?
- What knowledge or experience have you acquired that might assist you while on rotations serving Alaska Native and other diverse populations in remote “bush” locations.
- What unique attributes would you bring to our residency?
- What is your vision of yourself as a physician 5-10 years after residency?
- ECFMG Certification, including passing of the Clinical Skills Assessment Exam
- US citizenship or legal residency certification (green card)