International Medical Graduates Frequently Asked Questions
- Does AKFMR accept International Medical School Graduates?
- Does AKFMR require USMLE exams to be passed with a minimum score?
No, but all exams should be passed on first attempts.
- Is clinical experience in the United States required?
There are no specific requirements for US clinical experience, but letters of recommendation from US training programs are advisable.
- Does AKFMR sponsor or accept visas?
No, the program does not sponsor or accept visas.
- Is ECFMG certification required before applying to the program and/or interviewing?
ECFMG certification is not required to apply or interview, but is required prior to starting residency.
- What is the maximum preferred number of years since graduation from medical school?
- Does AKFMR offer externships or observerships?
No, the program does not offer externships or observerships.
- How do I apply for a position with AKFMR?
We accept applications through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
- When are applications accepted through ERAS?
Applications may be submitted September 1st through October 31st for positions at AKFMR.
- What type of a program is AKFMR?
AKFMR is an unopposed, community-based program.
- How many positions does AKFMR have?
The program accepts 12 interns per class.
- Does AKFMR participate in the couples match?
- Does AKFMR extend pre-match offers?
American Medical Association – Department of IMG Services:
Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates:
Electronic Residency Application Service: